Sunday, March 28, 2010

Checking in on the Challenge



As we start another week and almost 3 months into 2010, my log book shows 1470 pull ups completed......540 left to go!

A quick reminder on the intent of the challenge; see how long it would take to do 2010 reps during the course of normal programming. Experimentation and pull up variety has ruled the way to date and heading toward the final third, the plan is to program work outs with higher volume requirements......a sprint to the finish sort of speak.

It's almost April and the first quarter of this new year has already played out. For so many, each year begins with new goals and personal challenges (fitness goals, professional aspirations, personal achievements). So where do YOU stand? Are you still squarely on target to the original plan or have you been pushed off the mark a bit. Unfortunately, after starting out strong, too many people, including me, experience minor set backs, struggle to get back on track and eventually just give up. This is fully understandable, but also not impossible to overcome.

I was pulled to the side by a colleague at a business function last week. He wanted to share that his decision to compete in an Olympic distance Triathlon later this year (which I strongly encouraged) is now on target and his progress so far is exceeding expectations. In mid February, this same guy was cursing me, while struggling to get into a training rhythm; on the verge of giving up at that point. Gladly, he didn't quit and he is now over the hump and on his way.

Like most things that are really worth it, discipline is vital and positive reinforcement either from within or from an external source is often what it takes. Reach deep within at this point (after all it is ONLY April) and start again if you don't find yourself where you had hoped to be. Let others know what you are trying to accomplish and invite them to help you stay honest. Modify the original goal if necessary if it was too ambitious and make sure that whatever you set out to accomplish is realistic, measurable and has a time line attached to it. Finding someone to tackle a challenge together (especially a fitness goal) is a proven and widely written about strategy for securing success. Do whatever it takes to get back in the game.

My simple pull up challenge was more of an experiment than a major goal. Large scale fitness challenges that top my list this year include two off road extreme adventure races, an Olympic Distance Triathlon and the big goal to finish a Half Ironman this fall. For a variety of reasons, I have been pushed off my mark on a couple of occasions and have been struggling to stay with it. It happens to everyone, I suppose.

Trying to re-focus, I ran in the first off road adventure race this morning (through 5 stream crossings, loads of mud and over a forest of downed trees) have just enlisted a training partner for the Triathlon and am close to convincing others to tackle the Half Iron with me in the fall. Also, I just posted my plans on this public web site; more pressure to follow through. Now, with only 540 reps to go on the Pull Up Challenge (and a plan to kip my way through them)........I am fighting my way back.

So you too, should dig deep, engage others and get back on track! It's ONLY April (almost) after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment