Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pull Ups Across the Pond #3


With the time running out on my buddy Blair (Anywherefit) who is set to return home from his 9 month stay in Europe, we agreed on installment #3 of our coordinated work outs across the ocean. Keeping with tradition, the intention is for the work to be pull up "centric" and for this edition, we were not lacking in that department.

Run 1 Mile
200 Pull Ups (2 pulls, then One Burpee x 100)
100 Burpees
Run 1 Mile

The work out was modeled after CrossFit's GI Jane. I was calling it GI Jane and her sister (since we were to double the pull ups and do 200 in lieu of the 100 in the original). After texting a few buddies the idea, I quickly got a note back suggesting we call it GI Jane and her "bloody"" sister........my friend had no idea how true that would be in the end. Graham from Balance Gym wrote, "This was a little like Murph - the CrossFit workout that tests all athletes".

So I enlisted a few a few friends and we all gave it a try. Common theme among all of us: REALLY Banged up hands. At 130 pulls for me and somewhere in the same neighborhood for Ed, hands tore; making the last third a real challenge. Graham had a similar story and ended up modifying the sequence a bit. He said " so the first 20 rounds were fine, but then I started getting blisters. I brought tape, but not chalk. I got to round 30 before my grip started to fail me. I moved on to jumping pull ups: 10 jumping pull ups to 5 burpees for the remaining sets to get to 200 pull ups/100 burpees".

The Damage was as follows:

Graham: 52:10
Ed: 39;20
Eric: 35:25
Frank 35:30
Blair ?? (yet to be revealed)

It started out innocently enough, but lesson learned on the high volume pulls. We all agreed that chalk would have helped mitigate the ripped up hands a bit (but none of us used it). For Graham, a little baking soda might have been helpful; somewhere around 70 burpees in, he dropped to the ground and got stung by a bee.

Bee stings, torn hands and bruised egos. Makes me glad Blair is on his way home from Europe. Pull Ups Across the Pond is a wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment