Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pancakes on Sunday.............

So tired of whipping up the pancakes every weekend for the kids (complete with butter, syrup and sausage on the side), to simply be a spectator. My eggs, Greek yogurt and high fiber cereal just was not cutting it this Sunday morning after a 10 mile tempo run.

While I have not jumped fully on board the Paleo way of eating, I have certainly researched it a bit, embraced some components; weaving in and out of the principles behind it. While overall it makes sense, I do believe that a target body composition and a healthy, fit lifestyle can be achieved easily with other eating choices that modify the core approach and are guided by good nutrition. For someone who LOVES food and the experience of dining as much as I do, just not ready to go Paleo completely.

A friend recently told me about some great Paleo pancakes he was treated to. Of course, a little google action yielded a bunch of recipes with all sorts of promise. However, I kept it simple and experimented on the version my friend shared. Nothing more that a banana, almond butter and and egg. Of course, I had to tinker a bit and add some vanilla extract and a little Cinnamon, but kept the core recipe in tact. Other recipes I noticed included almond flour, ground almonds and/or coconut milk....adding way too much on the calorie side for me to rationale wanting to try. For the recipe, just mix all of the ingredients together:

1 Egg
1 Banana
1 Heaping Tsp. of Almond Butter
Dash of vanilla
1/4 tsp of Cinnamon

My version was easy enough to make. They are ultra delicate though, so you need to be careful when flipping. It will feel like you are creating a globby mess, but they will flip eventually and hold their pancake shape. The result is light, airy and pretty tasty. The basic recipe makes about 6 cakes.

Kids put their noses up to my plate as they slathered their traditional cakes with the "works". Never mind them because on this Sunday morning, I had pancakes too. The protein shake will prevail tomorrow.

As far as Paleo, I will experiment here and there, but no real desire to live like the cavemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment